Bubble Painting with Foam Soap Dispensers

Hello, crafters! Recently painting with bubbles has been THE thing to do, so naturally, we had to try it for ourselves! Jax and I decided to try bubble painting with foam soap dispensers. I knew I kept all of those containers for a reason! Haha! 

There's a lot of different ways to make your foamy bubbles, and honestly I feel it takes some experimentation to get the right consistency. We tried 3 times before I got it right! Here's what you'll need: 

Clear glue - yes, it must be clear. Don't ask why. I tried the white glue and it didn't work at all. 
Water
Food coloring
Foam soap pumps - one for each color
Cardstock or watercolor paper

You'll need multiple soap pumps, which isn't a problem if you go through soap like we do in our house! Jax LOVES to wash his hands! After a couple of tries, I found the mixture that makes the foamiest bubbles with the best results is a one to one (1:1) ratio of clear soap to water. I used about 5 tablespoons of each. Shake the glue and water together - shake shake shake! It should be well mixed! And then add your food coloring! We used 6 soap pumps because we needed all the colors of the rainbow! 

After your mixture is made just pump the soapy foam onto your paper. It should be thick and foamy when it's wet. If the bubbles start to immediately pop and fall down into each other you need to add some more glue. Once you have enough foam on your paper sit it out to dry. I let the papers sit outside for the rest of the afternoon. It took about 5 hours for the papers to completely dry. Our finished products are so  cool! They are shiny with a lot of texture where the bubbles popped! I plan to use a paintbrush to letter on the panels and then frame them as gifts! 

You'll notice that I added a towel underneath our projects. Everyone said it would be super messy, but it wasn't too bad. It's not a project I would try inside, though! 

Jax is only 2, so it was a little difficult for him to push the pump down without assistance, but he found it was easier to put the pump on the table and then push down. You can see how thick and foamy the bubbles are when you first put them on the paper! Then of course he squished the bubbles around with his fingers! But check out photo number 5! He loved the feeling! 

Jax was having so much fun that I wanted to play around, too! I added the foam to my cardstock, but the colors weren't mixing like I wanted them to, so I took a second piece of cardstock and squished it on top of the foam and removed it and let the two pieces dry separately. I ended up with two for one backgrounds! My bubbles dried a bit smoother and flatter than Jax's. His are a lot more textured!










Comments